My main policy priorities as a State Representative will be increased and adequate funding for schools, providing resources for and protecting seniors, and improving our State’s resilience to the effects of climate change.
As a sister of two public school teachers I know the need for fully funded public education is crucial. It’s time to increase teacher pay, reduce class sizes and put the needs of our students first.
For over 25 years I provided services and resources to seniors through my work with the city of Phoenix. We need to ensure our seniors can age in place with dignity. I will be a voice for our seniors and their needs.
Protecting our environment is one of my top priorities. I will work to mitigate the effects of climate change and look for fair policies that will provide sustainability for our limited water resources.
Democracy and Voting Rights
I will protect our voting rights in the state legislature. I have volunteered as a Poll Watcher and for Election Protection in previous elections to make sure that everyone who is eligible to vote has the opportunity to vote. Unlike some poll watchers from the other side who try to subvert a person’s right to vote, my job was to ensure that everyone who wanted to vote had the opportunity to cast their ballot. I also kept an eye out for anyone who might try to deter voters from getting to their polling place. It is not hyperbole to say that our democracy is at the tipping point. We must keep this legislative district Blue and fight like crazy to get a Democratic majority in both the Arizona House of Representatives and Senate.
I have many other issues that I am passionate about:
- I believe in a Woman’s Right to choose. The Supreme Courts decision to overturn Roe v. Wade is devastating. I am committed to fighting for our state to allow women access to safe and affordable abortions.
- Veterans deserve better treatment. They served our country now we need to help them transition back to civilian life. Too many of our precious veterans are suffering from PTSD and homelessness. We can, and must, do a better job of helping veterans.
- I support union workers and the PRO Act. I am a former union member (ASPTEA) and an associate member of the Arizona Education Association (AEA). Workers have a right to fair wages, benefits, and safe working conditions.
- Daycare is too expensive and I will look for ways to make daycare affordable for parents.
- Sensible Gun Reform policies need to be enacted in Arizona such as mandatory waiting periods, licensing, and closing the Gun Show loophole, etc. And, banning the sale of assault style weapons of war.
- Private prisons are making money by incarcerating people. Our justice system needs reform.
- Expunging records of felons after they have served their sentences is integral to a fair and just system of reintroduction to society. After they have served their time they deserve to be able to get a job and vote.
- Housing costs, especially rentals, are becoming unaffordable for too many people. We need to look at affordable housing solutions.
- Create opportunities for good jobs with livable wages in Arizona.
- Equal rights for members of LGBTQ and Immigrant communities.